The One where February flew right by

I could've sworn February just started up; I have no idea how it is March already. This month was just a total blur. I feel like I practically have been living in the library keeping up with school and MCAT. Its getting to the point where I feel like I am burning out even though we were given a break. It just didn't feel like enough to me especially with Mardi Gras and the amount of people here in the city.  This past break was technically our spring break so looks like were going to have to push these next 2 months. Just typing out "next 2 months" made me feel a little nostalgic.
I actually had this goal when I moved back to the city that I would help it the best way I could. I did volunteer with different organizations though there was only one I completely connected with, Saving Our Urban Landscape (SOUL). This organization may just seem like it just recruits a bunch of people just to dig up some holes and plant trees in them around New Orleans, but to me it was totally different. Seeing this city being destroyed by Hurricane Katrina was a horrific experience growing up. Our house, our park we used to play at, our school we used to go to, completely devastated.  I know I wanted to help rebuild but didn't know how because I cant just stop school and go fix random peoples houses. SOUL has helped me realized that through planting these trees we aren't just making the neighborhoods just a little more pleasing to the eye, we are rebuilding. These trees not only add to the houses' property value they also absorb gallons and gallons of water when it floods. Majority of the city was deforested after the storm and continues to lose more after every hurricane season. By planting these trees we are helping return back to what was. I am proud to say that as long as a I remain here in the city I will continue to volunteer with SOUL because it truly is a fulfilling experience that helps me give back to my city.

February Community Service Hours: 22 
Spring Semester Hours to Date: 22

Comments