The One where I moved back to New Orleans

There is much to be said about my personal and professional growth in the past few months I started studying at Tulane. To begin with, --- the water, man the water.  Interestingly enough, I was born in Metairie, Louisiana at what is now Tulane Lakeside hospital.  Up until Hurricane Katrina, my whole family moved to north Texas, so I am not really accustomed to abundant rain and hurricane force winds.  

Two weeks ago, when the city started flooding after several days of excessive downpour, I couldn’t believe the damage that resulted in such a short period of time.  There was news that a significant number of pumping stations were not working, but I was too absorbed with my books.  I guess I didn’t fully understand the threat of Hurricane Harvey, so I was determined to stay put.  However, I now realize how foolish I had been when I saw the devastation the hurricane left in its wake.  It is a lesson for me to be closely aware of my surroundings and take the proper decision when it comes to evacuating a city that is prone to hurricanes.
Professionally, the Tulane Pharmacology program has really opened my eyes to the fact that graduate school presents a steep learning curve which needs to be dealt with in a short amount of time.  Initially, this was overwhelming, but each day does get better.  I do not have the luxury of skipping studying my notes or forgoing reading for class.  Diligence and persistence are two key ingredients to approaching this program.  I pray that this journey will be both intellectually and emotionally enlightening.  

Comments